About 15 km east of Kampala city lies the Namugongo martyrs’ shrine where more than 20 catholic and Anglican martyrs were burnt alive on the orders of Kabaka Mwanga in June 1886. Consequently, christians from eastern and central Africa and indeed the world over flock to Namugongo to pay their respects and renew their faith by paying pilgrimage to the martyrs on June 3rd, every year. A church was constructed in the shape of a traditional Baganda hut (akasiisiira) in memory of the martyrs. It stands on 22 copper pillars representing the 22 catholic martyrs. In front of the main entrance to the church, below the altar is the spot where Charles Lwanga, the leader of the Catholics was burnt on June 3rd 1886.The church was consecrated by Pope Paul VI on August 2nd, 1969.
In Namugongo, outskirts of Kampala city along Kampala - Jinja road.
15km, by road from Kampala city centre along Kampala - Jinja road. It is accessible by public transport.
What to do
Exploring the roots of religion in Uganda, fellowships and restoration of faith.
When to visit
Any time during the year but prepare to reach there before June 3rd (Martyrs' day) of every year.
You can find more details about Namugongo Martyrs Shrine here