Budongo Forest forest type is classified as medium altitude semi deciduous moist. Budongo has a high biodiversity with 24 species of small mammals; nine being primates; 465 species of trees and shrubs; 359 species of birds; 289 species of butterflies; and 130 species of moths. Budongo Forest Reserve was gazetted in 1932. Commercial extraction of timber has been ongoing since 1915 today; some 77% of this forest has been cut at least once. The report by Forest Department (1996a), states that Budongo is in a serious ‘state of degradation’ due to the high levels of illegal pit sawing, hunting and human encroachment.
Covers an area of 793 km² of which only 53% is forest. The remaining 47% is grassland
(Forest Department 1996a) 42 800 hectares.
3 hours’ drive northwest of the capital city Kampala on the way to the prominent Murchison Falls National Park.